UPDATE: Total steps up cost cuts and suspends share buybacks
John E. Kaye
- Published
- News, Sustainability

On Monday Total, French multinational integrated oil and gas company announced plans to step up cost cuts and suspend its share buyback programme in order to deal with a slump in oil prices and the economic fallout from the coronavirus outbreak.
Patrick Pouyanne, Total CEO stated that with prices of $30 per barrel, Total would now target organic capital expenditure cuts of more than $3 billion.
In a video message to the company’s staff last Thursday, Pouyanne said the group was facing three crisis – the coronavirus outbreak, the crash in oil prices due to a sharp fall in global oil demand just as supply is expected to rise, and the climate change crisis.
“In the face of this crisis, we need to react…,” Pouyanne said. “We have a $9 billion hole and we want to plug it. To reduce it, we will act with the various levers that we have.”
Pouyanne said that out of the $3.3 billion in cost savings, $2.5 billion will come from exploration and production, $300 million from gas, renewables and power, $300 million from refining and chemicals, and $200 million from the marketing and services division.
The company will also target $800 million in 2020 operating cost savings compared to 2019, instead of the $300 million previously announced, and suspend its share buyback programme.
Total had planned $2 billion of share buybacks this year and Pouyanne said it had carried out $500 million so far.
“So, we are saving $1.5 billion on our plan,” he said.
He added that recruitment would not be completely frozen but reduced substantially.
“The markets are currently moving a lot, but our liquidity, our cash flow is high: we have more than $10 billion. We can deal with this financial crisis,” Pouyanne said.
Reporting by Bate Felix and Sudip Kar-Gupta
Sourced Reuters
For more Energy and Daily News follow The European Magazine.
RECENT ARTICLES
-
WATCH: Red Bull pilot lands plane on moving freight train in aviation first -
Europe eyes Australia-style social media crackdown for children -
These European hotels have just been named Five-Star in Forbes Travel Guide’s 2026 awards -
McDonald’s Valentine’s ‘McNugget Caviar’ giveaway sells out within minutes -
Europe opens NanoIC pilot line to design the computer chips of the 2030s -
Zanzibar’s tourism boom ‘exposes new investment opportunities beyond hotels’ -
Gen Z set to make up 34% of global workforce by 2034, new report says -
The ideas and discoveries reshaping our future: Science Matters Volume 3, out now -
Lasers finally unlock mystery of Charles Darwin’s specimen jars -
Strong ESG records help firms take R&D global, study finds -
European Commission issues new cancer prevention guidance as EU records 2.7m cases in a year -
Artemis II set to carry astronauts around the Moon for first time in 50 years -
Meet the AI-powered robot that can sort, load and run your laundry on its own -
Wingsuit skydivers blast through world’s tallest hotel at 124mph in Dubai stunt -
Centrum Air to launch first European route with Tashkent–Frankfurt flights -
UK organisations still falling short on GDPR compliance, benchmark report finds -
Stanley Johnson appears on Ugandan national television during visit highlighting wildlife and conservation ties -
Anniversary marks first civilian voyage to Antarctica 60 years ago -
Etihad ranked world’s safest airline for 2026 -
Read it here: Asset Management Matters — new supplement out now -
Breakthroughs that change how we understand health, biology and risk: the new Science Matters supplement is out now -
The new Residence & Citizenship Planning supplement: out now -
Prague named Europe’s top student city in new comparative study -
BGG expands production footprint and backs microalgae as social media drives unprecedented boom in natural wellness -
The European Winter 2026 edition - out now

























