Oil draws back after reaching highest since March
John E. Kaye
- Published
- News, Sustainability

On Tuesday, Oil predictions slide as the market braced for reports expected to show swelling U.S. crude inventories, which pulled prices back off the highest levels since before the coronavirus pandemic slammed fuel demand.
Prices rose early, after U.S. President Donald Trump wrote a tweet late Monday regarding the trade agreement with China commenting the situation is “fully intact”. Markets had been unsettled by surprise comments from White House trade adviser Peter Navarro that the hard-won deal with China was “over”.
However, crude benchmarks declined in afternoon trade on expectations U.S. inventories will hit a record high for a third week in a row, undermining and impeding recent bullishness among investors.
Brent futures fell 45 cents, or 1.0%, to settle at $42.63 a barrel, while U.S. West Texas Intermediate (WTI) crude fell 36 cents, or 0.9%, to $40.37.
Oil extended losses in post-settlement trade after U.S. crude inventories rose by a much bigger than expected 1.7 million barrels last week, according to the American Petroleum Institute, an industry group. That compares with analysts’ expectations for a 300,000-barrel build. U.S. government data will be released on Wednesday.
Earlier, both contracts traded at their highest since prices collapsed on March 6 after the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) and allied producers, including Russia, failed to agree on production cuts. Prices tumbled even further when the pandemic slashed fuel demand.
“It appears we ran into some technical resistance after closing the March 6 gap … and then we saw some profit taking,” said John Kilduff, partner at Again Capital LLC in New York.
U.S. crude stocks rose to 539.3 million barrels in the week to June 12, an all-time high, and are expected to have increased by 300,000 barrels in the week to June 19, according to a Reuters poll.
Additionally, weighing on crude prices, analysts said the market was unimpressed with purchasing managers reports in the United States, which showed the country’s rebound from coronavirus-depressed levels was not as sharp as in Europe.
Reported by Scott DiSavino
Sourced Reuters
For more Energy and Daily news follow The European Magazine
TOP STORIES
-
Children now nearly 11 before being allowed to play outside alone -
Ex-Lenovo executive Sabine Hammer to lead Infinigate’s DACH business -
Ferrari’s first electric car sells for record US$40m -
Richard Branson's Virgin Trains gets green light for up to 20 daily Channel services -
Could this be the future of cheap flying? World’s largest electric aircraft uses just $5 of power -
Banks face calls for ban on ‘dangerous’ AI -
No eclipse glasses? How to watch tonight’s spectacle without risking your sight -
EXPO REAL adds infrastructure as property investors seek safer long-term returns -
ESA creates artificial eclipses to predict tomorrow’s real one -
Firms with political pals ‘get away with greenwashing’ -
NVIDIA teams up with Wall Street giants in $500bn push to fund AI boom -
UK government urged to act as Afghanistan marks five years under Taliban rule -
Brits flee the heat as wildfires force holiday rethink -
AI ‘kill switch’ launched to stop rogue agents in seconds -
Young Britons drive UK screen 'set-jetting' tourism boom -
Passenger jet flies on fuel made from waste CO₂ in aviation breakthrough -
Chinese education group to buy Dublin Business School for US$127.5m -
Germany could run on full renewables by 2045, study reveals -
Marriott signs all-inclusive resort deals in Jamaica and Zanzibar -
AI takes majority of European venture funding as money floods into few firms -
Rewilding improves wellbeing and community connection, charity report says -
RABAM raises $500,000 ahead of Series A round -
Prologis agrees £14.3bn takeover of UK warehouse group Segro -
Germany’s former coal heartland makes pitch as Europe’s next AI hub -
Iran war shock hits Eurozone spending twice as hard as expected




























